Berlin is a city of contrasts and possibilities. Countless intertwining cultures, music and street art. A city that was divided by a wall for many years, but which has opened up to the world over time and is making the most of it.
1. Berlin is a world city of culture, politics, media and science. Berlin’s economy is based on high-tech companies and a service sector that includes diverse creative industries, research centres, media companies and cultural institutions.
2. Berlin is more than 9 times the size of Paris, but has only a fifth of the density of Paris (4,000 inhabitants per km2 compared to 21,000 inhabitants per km2 in Paris). That’s why Berlin is so sprawling.
3. Berlin has more bridges than Venice – about 1,700. It is also said that Berlin has more waterways than Amsterdam, Stockholm and Venice combined. The most famous bridge is the Oberbaumbrücke between Kreuzberg and Friedrichshain.
4. The city, has over 180 kilometres of waterways within its city limits.
5. There are 180 museums in Berlin and an average of 106 rainy days.
6. There are 9 castles in Berlin. Most people visit Charlottenburg Palace. Köpenick Palace, Schönhausen Palace and six former “castles” are popularly called Schösschen.
7. The city has its own beer speciality, Berliner Weiße. It has distinctly slightly bitter and sour notes and is made from wheat.
8. Berlin is considered by many to be the greenest city in Germany, with over 44% of its area consisting of waterways, forests, rivers and green spaces. To understand this glorious aspect of Berlin, you should visit the city in the warmer months.
9. Berlin is home to the world’s longest open-air gallery with a length of just over 1.3 km. The East Side Gallery features more than 100 murals by artists from all over the world. Probably the most famous of them is “Brotherly Kiss”.
10. There are 3 world-class opera houses in Berlin that can seat more than 4,400 spectators. In addition, there are over 150 theatres and halls in Berlin for every kind of event.
11. Berlin Zoo is not only the most visited zoo in Europe, it is also home to 1,380 different animal species and over 1,662 animals. It is said that the zoo has the largest collection of animals in the world.
12. Berlin is home to 3 UNESCO World Heritage Sites. Museum Island, Sansoussi Palace and Potsdam parks and modernist housing estates.
13. The metro (SBahn and UBahn) is 473 km long. Add to that another 120 km of tram lines and you have one of the most impressive public transport systems in the world. Especially when compared to famous metro systems like Paris (214Km) and London (400Km).
14. The TV Tower around Alexanderplatz is the tallest building in Germany at 368 metres. You can book a table in its revolving restaurant.
Create Berlin as a cool map poster
Create your own map poster of the German capital Berlin. Immortalise your memories and unforgettable moments that connect you with Berlin or that you have experienced in this place. Engagement, cool city break with friends or your first running marathon in Berlin? There are a thousand good reasons to immortalise them on an individual poster with a Berlin city map.